Thursday, October 28, 2010

To Live is Christ, to Die is Gain


Today my mom would have turned 51 years old, and I would have made fun of her for being an old geezer. There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss her. But I am so thankful that I will get to see her again, and cannot wait to go give her a big hug.
My mom was an incredible woman, and I aspire to someday be even a little bit like her. She was always gracious and kind, caring, she had a servants heart. She was always doing something for someone else, and rarely did I ever see her actually do anything for just her. She was an honest woman, those of you who knew her know that you didn't ask her a question unless you wanted the absolute truth! (Liz, you know what I'm talking about) One of my favorite quotes "Preach always, and when necessary, use words" embodied my mother to a 'T'.
I am always running into people who give me little snippets of memories that they have of Cheryl (my mom). Just yesterday I was talking with Hannah Reeves and she noted that every time she started cross stitching she would hear my moms voice saying to always wash your hands before you pick up your needle and thread. Or Penelope recalling my mom freaking out a little because Penelope wasn't measuring the flour correctly. You never put the measuring scoop in there people! Although most people saw her servant side, and her sweet and demure kindness, I was one of those privileged to see her side of humor, (which was dry, btw. I mean, we ARE Welsh!) She always had a smile for us, and she would have hated the photo I just put up of her because it shows her gums, but that was her real smile, the one she gave when she was really happy, it was the one I treasured the most and always felt a sense of satisfaction when I got to see it.
She touched so many lives, but possible none more than her children. She gave us all of her love, and so much more. My mother had beautiful hands, hands that were always giving, always comforting, always working. She was a beautiful woman inside and out. I will always miss her, but I am so comforted to know she is in a better place where she is no longer sick, and will never be sad, but most of all that she gets to be with the love of her life, Jesus. I love you, mom!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory you have of your mother. You look so much like her, even your gums :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss her too and can't wait to see her again! I think about your mom ALL the time! She was a great example of a godly woman and I too aspire to be even just a little bit like her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart still grieves but my spirit rejoices! I look forward to glory because she'll be there to show me around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to find this post when I got home. I love to see pictures of your mom! She taught me so much; she led me through the Word - always to the Word - even b/4 I knew the Lord. She showed me what Christian love really was. And, honestly, I think all of us who knew and loved her aspire to be like her. There are moments when I wonder what she would think of my life now, of a decision I'm making, or.... I really miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison, this is a wonderful tribute to my sister. The 28th was a hard day for me as I remembered her. I figured it was probably harder for you (and AJ and Terri and your dad) so I quit feeling sorry for myself and prayed for Gods blessing on your lives instead (As Cheryl would want me to do).
    I did not know Cheryl had a dry sense of humor! I also have a very dry one! Cause we are Welch, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was beautiful. I think about your mom a lot. I am overjoyed just hearing about the comfort and hope you feel. I might have cried while reading this...
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Allie!! She not only touched my life, she changed it for the better.

    ReplyDelete