Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Angels Among Us


So I just took a slightly frightening undertaking.  I have officially signed up for my very first 5k!  I am not a runner (yet), but this is my first step.  I want some someday run a half marathon, hopefully by the end of this year.  So I figured a 5k would be necessary to complete before I started full on training for the half. I know, all of you are thinking I am crazy right now, and you're probably right.

This is how it all started- I had decided I wanted to do a 5k in maybe late May or early June.  I figured that would give me enough time to train up and be able to run 3 miles no problem.  But of course things never happen the way I think they will. 

I was studiously researching different races and looking for some 5k in my area.  So I saw one on the list in Durham.  I thought "sweet, that's really close to where I live."  So I clicked on it and saw it was a 5k and the date was April 30th.  Yeah, right!  So just as I was about to x out of that site I took a quick glance at what the race was for, and for that I am now signed up to run a 5k at the end of April.  Eeek.  I still haven't been able to run 3 miles.  I'm not sure if I've even pulled out a straight 2 mile run in the past month, but I'm working on it, and sloooowwwwlly but surely I will get there.  I am determined to finish the race and not "quit and sit down" as my Granny so graciously told me I could do without remorse, thanks Gran.  Haha.  But that's another story.  So the whole reason I am now in this crazy thing is because I saw that this race is a fundraiser for the Duke Tisch Brain Tumor Center research. 

As you know by now by my previous posts, my mother died of a brain tumor when she was 47 years old. So I am doing this for her.  But more so, I am doing it for all of the other families out there, so that hopefully they won't have to lose their loved ones, but can walk by them day to day throughout long lives. 

So now I am asking you, dear readers, to please donate.  Please help me fund research to find the cure for brain cancer.  You can check out my fundraiser page:

http://dccc.convio.net/site/TR/Angels/TR-AngelsAmongUs?px=1051708&pg=personal&fr_id=1080

Thanks guys!  I'll keep you updated on how the race goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment